Friday, January 16, 2009

Doctor Update

Sorry it's taken me a day to post this. Thank you for all the calls and emails to check on us! We saw the cardiologist and the ped yesterday. I don't think that I've ever met someone who acted more like a rock than the Cardiologist. Seriously, I've never seen anything like it. Imagine trying to carry on a conversation with a wall painted a really cold gray color... that was this guy. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't rude or anything, but I am just not used to people with that little affect...

He did an echo of Harper's heart. I didn't get much more information than "yes, she's fine. Her heart looks fine. Don't worry about it." I did pry with more questions, and mentioned the breathing thing several times, but apparently "he's just a cardiologist" and I should talk to the Pediatrician about that.

So, I guess, it's final... her heart is FINE! Praise the Lord! I am so happy about that.

I absolutely love our Pediatritian. She is wonderful, attentive, doesn't take anything I say lightly and spent over an hour with us. She was willing to watch me feed Harper to see exactly what I was talking about. Sure enough, she did stop breathing, turn blue and choke several times.... She was also gasping for air almost throughout the whole visit.

It seems to her that all the above symptoms have to do with the reflux. While they are not really healty or normal, they are not that uncommon. She just recommended that I keep a close eye on her during the day and if it gets worse, or doesn't get better in a few weeks, bring her back. It doesn't seem there is much they can do about what's happening.

Since I can't stay awake 24 hours a day to make sure she's not turning blue... here we are back at the recourring theme in my life lately: just trust God. I am able to sleep, and I've started to be able to tell (in a groggy state) which noises she is making (or not making) need my attention. Aside from the fact that I have a newborn that needs to be fed every 3-4 hours, I am sleeping fairly well.

Anyways, here's all I know right now. Praise the Lord that He has healed her heart. No enlargement, no problems at all! All these other things will work themselves out, I know!

On another praise report... Chris was able to take a day off work today! Yay, I can't tell you how good it was for my emotional well-being to have him here for a day. It's so good for Grace too! I can tell that she is starting to exhibit a little bit of jealousy, especially during feeding time, but it has really only manifested itself in the fact that she wants to sit in my lap at the same time I am feeding Harper. I know that she'll get used to it, and if this is all we have to deal with, we are doing well!

Oh, and this small fact has nothing to do with anything except that I am amazed and feel the need to share: I am totally shocked at the sheer volume my bladder can hold now that I am not pregnant anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie so thankful for a good report from the cardiologist. You have been on my mind and in my prayers. Your doing great job and I am appreciative for your transparency during this whole ordeal. Your vulnerability and trust have encouraged me.

Bri said...

Wow, what a miracle. I am so glad to hear that Harper's heart is healthy.

I have to say that I am looking forward to having a full-capacity bladder again! :o)