Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What to do while your toddler is at preschool?

Today is Grace's 2nd day of Preschool. Since I am officially a new woman today, I thought I'd give a little insight on what exactly it is I do while she's gone!
So, I wake up early... this is very rare, but I don't want to waste a minute of the day! I get Grace up around 7:15 or so, get her some breakfast and watch a few 'shows' with her in bed. We then pick out her clothes and shoes, and pack up, and she's off with Daddy.

It's then, I realize the sweetness in life and I take a deep breath. First I go to the gym, not worrying if they are going to call me to change a poopers in the middle of my workout.
A couple of times, I will admit, I found myself wondering if Grace was having a good day, feeling abandoned? Feeling safe? Are her teachers being nice to her? Is she being nice to the other kids? etc...
Then it's off to Home Depot to get the primer and paint so that I can start painting a new bookshelf for Grace's room. Once home, I prepare my workspace, which is a crucial step that usually gets overlooked with a toddler at home...I then begin to prime the shelf. 30 minutes later I am done and need to wait for it to dry. It's at this point in the day when I wonder to myself why I hadn't put Grace in preschool earlier...?

Next, I start on some laundry, throw in a load, and put some clothes away, and Yes, I did hang the ones that go into the closet. Then I start scrubbing our bathroom floor, which hasn't been done in a while, start on the tub, toilet, mirror, and mind you, I even scrubbed the shower walls!

Vacuuming is next on the list, so I carry it upstairs, vacuum the floor, under the bed, vacuum left over cat hair off our dust ruffle, the hallway, Grace's room and the guest room.. which we barely use anyways....

I organize some of Grace's drawers, put her clothes away and start back downstairs when I notice some dust on the pictures hanging on the wall. So, what is a free woman to do??? Dust them of course! I then got carried away and dusted everything in our room and then made the bed. Now, you have to know something about me: I don't consider making the bed a necessary activity and sometimes think it's kind of useless because you are going to 'unmake' it and get in a few hours later anyways...But today, the bed was made!

The downstairs needed a little attention, so I put away some clutter, washed the windows in the kitchen, which hasn't been done since we moved here, and put some dishes away.

Now I remember that there is a children's boutique sale going on at Graceworks Thrift Store and I take off to see what bargains I can find.... You see, this is awesome, because sometimes boutiques donate their inventory to the thrift store, and you can get brand new stuff, which is adorable for thrift store prices! I found 3 really adorable dresses that came with matching sweaters and shirts, 1 for Grace and 2 for the new baby.

I am back home now and have eaten lunch, taken a little time to blog, and am about to put another coat of paint on the bookshelf...

It's not even 1 o'clock yet and 2 more loads of laundry are done, dinner is started, the kitchen is fairly clean, and I am sitting down to enjoy a cup of coffee and some quiet time before I pick grace up from school at 3pm!

To say that I feel like a new woman is an understatement! I really do enjoy Grace more, I'm so happy to go pick her up, she's happy to see me and it's like I have a whole new outlook on parenting just by having 2 days to myself during the week. I am more patient, kind, less easily frustrated, and my fuse is much longer with my dear darling...I know, this is only day 2 of preschool, but it's already made a huge difference! WOW...it's well worth the money for sure.

I will post a link (If I can figure that one out) that shows you Grace's new school, and all it has to offer! I am so thankful she was able to get in, it's such a neat place, and I know that she'll learn so much about not only her numbers and colors, but also her fellow man (or toddler, in this case). Not every kid looks like her, not every kid acts like her, not every kid can do the things she can, and it's so important to instill in her that all this is OK! Differences are not to be gawked at, but embraced and rejoiced in! I hope that even at 2, she will learn to appreciate all kinds of people!

Ok, here is my attempt at posting a link:
High Hopes Inclusive Preschool

If the link works, you'll be taken to their website, and if you scroll down there is a video there that tells you all about it. It's so sweet!

Anyways, that's what I did while my toddler was at preschool!

2 comments:

Chelle said...

1. Free time? Could you define that please?

2. Glad you enjoy the new routine...especially with baby on the way.

3. The link worked, well done :)

Anonymous said...

OK OK!!! I'm calling to get Corbin on the waiting list like right NOW!!